|What is a Welder?
||A welder joins metal parts through coalescence (melting base metal); fills seams and holes of metal components; follows sketches, blueprints and specifications; follows and maintains knowledge of safety protocol; lays out, fits and fabricates metal components to assemble structural forms using knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering requirements. Some welders analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable.
|Diploma and Certificates
- Welding and Joining Technology, Diploma
- Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welder, Certificate
- Flux Cored Arc Welder, Certificate
- Gas Metal Arc Welder, Certificate
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welder, Certificate
- Students can be provisionally accepted to the Welding diploma program, but must complete all learning support courses before taking the diploma level General Education courses required to graduate from this diploma program. For specific prerequisites please refer to the course descriptions in the online catalog.
- FYES 1000
- WELD 1000
|Semester Program Begins
||Fall and spring semesters
||Applicants to the Welding and Joining Technology diploma program must meet all admission requirements; complete an application and pay the application fee. Individuals apply to Gwinnett Technical College at GwinnettTech.edu, submit all transcripts from high school and previous college work, and take the ACCUPLACER test, if required.
||You may enter in the fall or spring terms.
|For more information, contact:
||Steve Jessup, program director, SJessup@GwinnettTech.edu, 678.226.6763.
|For admission and enrollment, contact:
||Enrollment Support Center in Building 100 at the Lawrenceville campus, or Building A at the Alpharetta-North Fulton campus, or email ACTTeam@GwinnettTech.edu.
(This data was compiled from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.)
|2016 Median pay
|Entry level education
|| Associate degree, diploma, certificate
|Number of jobs, 2016
|Job growth, 2010 - 2020
The Gwinnett Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
Lisa Richardson, Section 504/ADA, Title IX and Equity Coordinator, Building 100, Room 708, 678.226.6691, LRichardson@GwinnettTech.edu